Russell County Reunion
Even though snow is in the air, summertime is fast approaching. And with it comes the season of family reunions. Sometimes so many reunions are planned so close together that we have to choose to attend one while missing all the others. That’s why a decision was made to combine all reunions into one BIG one that will include the entire county. The first ever Russell County Reunion is being planned for July 4, 2009. It doesn’t matter who you’re related to – if you’re connected to Russell County, please join us at the Government Center in Lebanon.
We are looking for:
· Family History Organizations to have tables indoors ($10/table to help cover costs). Bring your information and help people find their ancestors, make connections with cousins, and recruit membership
· Publishers of Russell County books to have tables indoors ($10/table to help cover costs). Bring your books for sale. Conduct author signings. Recruit other authors.
· Crafters. Are you an Appalachian crafter? Set up a tent and a table outdoors and spread your wares.
· Schools. Are you an officer of an alumni group of a Russell County School? Set up a tent and table outdoors and find other alumni. Plan a reunion on site or for the future.
· Family Groups – Are you interested in announcing a specific time for your family to meet at this event? Example: All Jones descendents will meet at tent # __ at 2:00 PM
A variety of indoor events will be scheduled and may include:
· Russell County Public Library director will speak about local history and genealogy available at the library.
· Clerk of the Court will talk about what can be found in the courthouse
· Daughters of the American Revolution representative will speak about herbs and plants used for healing
· A collection of old pictures of local places such as stores, post offices and schools; pictures of Civil War soldiers from Russell County will be on display
· Old pictures that are unidentified, inherited picture display
· Hessian soldiers
· Southwest Virginia Genealogy Club will provide basic online genealogy research as well as early military enlistment research
· Grave dowsing
Presentations may be added or changed as plans develop.
Russell County Chamber of Commerce will provide free lemonade and information about the county.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org