Make your own free website on

SCV Eligibility

Back to Main Page

Who Can Join?
Membership in the Sons of Confederate Veterans is open to all male descendants of any veteran who served honorably in the Confederate armed forces. Membership can be obtained through either lineal (direct blood relation such as great grand father) or collateral (having a shared ancestor such as a great great uncle or a cousin) family lines and kinship to a veteran must be documented genealogically. The minimum age for full membership is 12, but there is no minimum for Cadet membership.

Applicants should submit an application form, along with a detailed genealogy describing your relationship to the veteran, and proof of his service. Application approval is carried out at the camp level so you should submit your application to a camp in your area (See contact information on this web site)

To obtain proof of his service, contact the archives of the state from which the soldier fought and obtain a copy of the veteran's military service record. All Southern state's archives have microfilm records of the soldiers who fought from that state, and a copy of the information can be obtained for a nominal fee. In addition, the former Confederate states awarded pensions to veterans and their widows. All of these records contain a wealth of information that can be used to document military service.

Please note that finding someone listed in the Broadfoot Roster with the same name as your ancestor does not constitute proof (John Jones from Tennessee). You must use accepted standards of genealogical research to demonstrate that the two men are, in fact, the same.

The SCV has a network of genealogist to assist you in tracing your ancestor's Confederate service.


Default Template for Easy Text To HTML Converter

Copyright © September 2, 2006 James Boyd. All rights Reserved!
The Authors Personal Profile
Last update 09/24/2006!